Latest broadband deals
If your internet is too slow or you are simply not happy with the service, then it’s time to switch your internet provider and find a better deal.
If you want to find out how fast your broadband is, then you can use our free broadband speed test tool. This allows you to see whether you have access to the advertised speed you signed up for as well as how your speed compares to neighbours and friends.
MoneySuperMarket allows you to compare broadband deals quickly and easily. You can also filter the packages to suit your personal requirements. Some even come with vouchers or a free gift.
Getting the best broadband deal
Saving money on your broadband doesn’t have to be difficult, and a savvy shopper can really make big savings by comparing deals online.
Just make sure you hit the ‘more info’ button to check all of the costs and benefits of each broadband deal.
Things to look out for include:
- Unlimited BT Wi-Fi at five million hotspots
- Savings if you pay the line rental in advance
- Price increases either part way through or once the contract has ended
- Free connection
- Free equipment
- Call charges if you are not picking a broadband deal with anytime phone calls
- Free subscription to TV services such as Netflix
Broadband only deals
Broadband only deals allow you to simply pay for the internet service you take out, opposed to having to pay for additional line rental or TV package bolt-ons. Deals are available for superfast broadband as well as for those looking for unlimited usage packages.
Broadband deals with superfast fibre
Broadband deals in the UK are generally ADSL, Fibre Optic, or Superfast Fibre. But which is the right option for you?
- ADSL – An ADSL connection is delivered over copper telephone lines and offers internet speeds of up to 16Mbps. It’s usually fast enough for watching catch-up TV without too much buffering or pauses.
- Fibre optic broadband - A broadband deal with a fibre optic connection will provide speeds of up to 38Mbps, so you can watch live TV or play online video games with only minimal lag or delay.
- Superfast fibre - Broadband deals that include superfast fibre provide data transfer speeds in excess of 38Mbps. You should opt for superfast fibre if you want to download large files extremely quickly or if you are a big fan of online video gaming.
Broadband deals with usage limits
Some broadband deals come with a usage limit, others are unlimited – and it’s important to pick the right one.
It’s often cheaper to subscribe to a limited usage deal, but it could cost you more in the long run because you will incur hefty charges if you breach your broadband limit.
Broadband deals with a 2GB usage limit are suited to light users who, in a typical month, send and receive emails or take advantage of other services that are light on data, such as downloading or streaming a music track or two.
A limit of 20GB is more appropriate for homes where a whole family is online and may watch a few episodes of catch-up TV each week, browse the internet and make occasional Skype calls.
Unlimited usage opens up the internet to houses with large families or shared housing where there are multiple users. There is no need to worry about incurring extra charges for watching live TV, streaming movies from Netflix or extensively playing online video games.
Getting more from your broadband deal
It is possible to get more from your broadband deal by consolidating three bills into one. There are some great packages featuring broadband coupled with TV and phone deals here.